Seems pretty straightforward to me. Create a python 3 version as soon as
possible and make it available, keep the python 2.7 version as default
until the next major release after 4.0 (assuming around/after python 2.7
EOL), then switch default and leave continued support for 2.7 cqlsh up to
the community and whoever needs it.