I think if we're going to drop it to 16k, we should invest in the compact
sequencing as well. Just lowering it to 16k will have potentially a painful
impact on anyone running low memory nodes, but if we can do it without the
memory impact I don't think there's any reason to wait another major
version to implement it.

Having said that, we should probably benchmark the two representations
Ariel has come up with.