My goal for a side car would be to enable more people to contribute to
the project, by making it more accessible for anyone who’s not familiar
with the Cassandra code base, or not familiar with Java development in
general. Although most of the functionality described in the proposal
sounds useful to have, I’d already be happy to have a solid REST API for
the existing nodetool and JMX functionality. If an official side car,
installed separately on each node, would provide that, I’m sure we’d see
lots of new tools created by the community (web UIs, cli tools, ..)
based on that. This would also be a good foundation for other existing
tool to converge upon, e.g. by calling the REST APIs for repair
scheduling and progress tracking instead of JMX, or by continually
integrating and sharing useful helper calls. This would also give
Cassandra devs more leeway to replace some of the existing tooling
related code in Cassandra, e.g. by migrating to virtual tables, while at
the same time keep providing a stable API through the side car.

What I’d also like to point out here is that implementing such a project
as an *official* side car, also implies to me having the same standards
when it comes to release quality. I’d also really prefer having feature
sets matching between Cassandra and the side car, e.g. authentication
and SSL should also be supported in the side car from the beginning,
ideally without any additional configuration.