Perhaps we should skip v5, and move to v6 for the new protocol to avoid this
issue?

On 08/12/2020, 10:53, "Sam Tunnicliffe" <s...@beobal.com> wrote:

    CASSANDRA-15299 has revised the wire format of CQL native protocol to add a
framing layer around the existing CQL messages. This is targetted at protocol
v5, which is (still) currently in beta. There's a small problem with this
though; while v5-beta is supported in Cassandra 3.11.x and 4.0.0, the new wire
format is only committed to trunk. This means that if clients upgrade to a
version of their driver which supports the new wire format (3.10.0 for the java
driver, python driver is not yet offically released), connections to Cassandra
3.11.x nodes will break if the client specifies v5-beta as the preferred
protocol version.

    Of course, any protocol changes that landed in v5-beta have had the
potential to cause this breakage and in some ways this particular change has a
better failure mode as it prevents incompatible clients from connecting at all.
As we have no intention of backporting the new wire format to 3.11.x, and
because v5-beta has always been characterised as an unsupported, dev-only
preview, I'm proposing we remove support for it from the 3.11 line. At the same
time, we should promote v5 from beta and create a new v6-beta for future
development (CASSANDRA-14973).

    If there are no objections, I'll file a JIRA for 3.11.x and post a patch
shortly.

    Thanks,
    Sam