> When I did download the the 3.11.10 release [2], I can see that it contained
> compiled binary files (jars), which I don't think is in line with ASF release
> policy.

Could you clarify why you think this is incompatible with ASF policy? AFAICT
the policy only stipulates that binary releases _will_ contain dependencies in
binary form, and that releases _will not_ contain (Category B) dependencies in
source code form. I cannot find any stipulation that source releases must not
contain binary forms of dependencies, but I may be missing it.