FWIW I don't have access to what's being raised with the board so
effectively can't participate in this discussion beyond +1'ing Jirsa:

Based on this point, I personally won't vote to approve a future release
> with binary packages, but I also strongly disagree with the assertion in
> that same past thread that it's worth nuking a 10+year history of releases.
> That's the type of action that would severely diminish trust in the
> foundation.

We SHOULD look at what's required to rebuild PAST releases.

We should keep in mind what's best for our users. While avoiding including
compiled binaries that can't be verified as open source makes complete
sense from a "maximize safety to our users" perspective and can be done on
forward-going releases with minimal lift, we also have to consider how we
get There from Here on past releases. Pulling the rug out from our entire
user-base and releases after over a decade based on a conversation that
happened off-list (i.e. not on the C* dev list) 9 years ago is, hopefully
we can agree, not in our users' best interests nor the best interests of
this project's longevity.

~Josh