For online upgrades we support skipping majors so long as the majors are
adjacent.
That is, any 4.x.z to any 5.x.z
 ( Is it recommended that you always first patch upgrade the .z to the
latest before the major upgrade. )

For offline upgrades, we are aiming to maintain all compatibility.

Take care when removing code, there are various (serdes) classes that look
like they are for other components but are also used in the storage engine.