From: Alex Mattioli
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2024 3:25 AM
To: us...@cloudstack.apache.org; dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Dynamic routing for routed mode IPv6 and IPv4 Isolated and VPC networks

Hi all,

I'd like to brainstorm dynamic routing in ACS (yes, again... for the newcomers
to this mailing list - this has been discussed multiple times in the past 10+
years)

ACS 4.17 has introduced routed mode for IPv6 in Isolated networks and VPCs, we
are currently working on extending that to IPv4 as well, which will support the
current NAT'ed mode and also a routed mode (inspired by the NSX integration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ao-vv7Ahk).

With stock ACS (i.e. without NSX or OpenSDN) this routing is purely static,
with the operator being responsible to add static routes to the Isolated
network or VPC tiers via the "public" (outside) IP of the virtual router.

The next step on this journey is to add some kind of dynamic routing. One way
that I have in mind is using dynamic BGP:

1 - Operator configures one or more BGP peers for a given Zone (with different
metrics)
2 - Operator presents a pool of Private AS numbers to the Zone (just like we do
for VLANs)
3 - When a network is created with an offering which has dynamic routing
enabled an AS number is allocated
4 - ACS configures the BGP session on the VR, advertising all its connected
networks

This way there's no need to reconfigure the upstream router for each new ACS
network (it just needs to allow dynamic BGP peering from the pool of AS numbers
presented to the zone)

This implementation could also be used for Shared Networks, in which case the
destination advertised via BGP is to the gateway of the shared network.

There could also be an offering where we allow for end users to setup the BGP
parameters for their Isolated or VPC networks, which can then peer with
upstream VNF(s).

Any and all input is very welcome...

Taking the liberty to tag some of you: @Wei Zhou<mailto:wei.z...@shapeblue.com>
@Wido den Hollander<mailto:w...@widodh.nl> @Kristaps