On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 15:44, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not appear that the <wd:help/>
> > tag of the <wd:widget/> is supported by the 'woody-field-styling.xsl',
> > except for when it is used inside a <wd:group/>.
> >
> > Would anyone object to me adding this?
>

> Certainly not! Do it, do it ;-)
>
> > I was thinking of adding handling for this to the 'woody-field-common'
> > template, by adding a '?' that is linked to a javascript alert
> > containing the text of the <wd:help/>, that sits just after the field,
> > like the required '*".
> >
> > Alternatively, it could be done with a <div> popup.
>

> I would prefer this solution which would allow for markup in help, and
> the CalendarPopup.js in Woody [1] already contains a library for this to
> build the popups [2].
>
> Having a "?" IMO makes the page look "heavier", and I was thinking of
> placing a "help mode switch" in the pages. This switch (analogous to the
> one that appears in the title bar of some dialog on Windows) would
> change the mouse cursor to a "?" and display the associated help (if
> any) associated to clicked elements.

I'm not sure about this from a usability point of view.

>  How hard would this be to do?
>
> [1] http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/calendarpopup/
> [2] http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/popupwindow/

Another alternative would be to use the label of the widget as trigger
to show the help.

Currently the wt:widget-label tag only outputs the content of the label
of the widget, without any tag around it telling it is the label. I'm
thinking we should maybe replace that with a wt:widget-displaydata which
would effectively insert a wi:displaydata containg the label & help (&
hotkey in the future), so that the XSL can react on that and put the
label inside a <label> tag, and also add some javascript to show the
help when you hover over it. (the label could have a e.g. a slightly
different color if it has help)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]