My opinion: probably not. However, I just thought of another drawback with using Joeq's interpreter, namely you wouldn't be able to debug it with a standard Java debugger. The Brakes-like approach doesn't have this limitation. In addition, since that approach simply modifies the bytecode it would still be optimized by Hotspot and would still outperform any scripting language. Torsten, what's the status of your work on this?

Since my proof-of-concept nothing much happend regarding the code. I prepared a block that is sitting on my disk.

I talked to the brakes guys and was supposed to get an official
"go" around christmas. I haven't heard anything yet and have to
admit I did not press on this anymore. Maybe it's not even necessary
but I'd prefer to be save on such legal aspects.

I also talked to James Strachan and the guy from RIFE. We thought
it would be a good idea to share the efforts and create general
java continuations project until java might get native continuations.
We could also (at least) try to push this a little. But this also
stalled probably due to the lack of time.

Although quite some people contacted me in private on this subject
I thought we (cocoon) decided to go the javascript way and not create
too many options in this area.

...but java continuations with the compiling classloader sounds
pretty cool to me :)

Do you guys want me to push this a little more again?

cheers
--
Torsten