Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

Le 23 mai 05, à 07:13, Reinhard Poetz a écrit :

...Let's release "Cocoon 2.2 alpha1" as soon as possible. When the contracts are stable we use the "beta" postfix. This will increase the number of people who use and test the release and finally we can release "Cocoon 2.2.0 final"...

Releasing 2.2 soon would allow us to stop keeping the 2.1 branch in sync, which is a pain IMHO.

Well, it will let us eventually do this, but I don't believe we will be ready to drop support of 2.1 anytime soon. As a matter of fact, Leszek provided a fix last week for what seems to me to be a pretty serious bug in flow and this alone should warrant a 2.1.8 release.

But are there enough visible incentives in 2.2 for people to make the switch? Do we have cool, exciting samples of the new features?

I'm not sure, and if we haven't, people might just keep on using 2.1, and the risk is having too much pressure to maintain 2.1 instead of being able to move on.

I doubt many will switch until 2.2 is stable - i.e we've had a few releases of it. I would recommend that we continue doing maintenance on 2.1 until at least a stable 2.2.0 is released and possibly a release or two later. That doesn't mean that new features need to be backported to 2.1 though.

Ralph