I'm afraid history is repeating itself.  In my perception the Cocoon core
dependency on Avalon/Excalibur was a major PITA even before the community
breakdown.  A separate community (although large overlap with Cocoon), separate
release cycles, separate repository, separate agenda, ...

Everytime I wanted to debug something I hit a wall with no way to get at the
source code.  Always a datestamped JAR with some private fixes, completely
unreproducable.

With Eclipse, Knopplerfish, Spring or other it might be the same and even worse
because of the missing insider links.

Instead of a micro kernel which is going to have again a large footprint to do
anything useful I'd rather prefer a small kernel to do just what Cocoon needs.
After all Cocoon is just a super-servlet which needs a bit of container
services for managing component reuse and state information.  We should not
make it again the playground for container academics.

Cheers, Alfred.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and
any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any
hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and
the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.