Either I am really thick here, or we talk about different things.
I don't want to use the Apache SVN server as MVN repository.

I propose to commit again all JARs into, say, cocoon/trunk/m2repo
and then tell Maven at build time to use that directory in the
checkout area as first repository server in the search list.

cocoon/trunk/pom.xml:
  <repositories>
    <repository>
      <id>cocoon-private</id>
      <name>Cocoon private Maven repository</name>
      <url>file:/my/path/to/m2repo</url>
    </repository>
    <repository>
      <id>central</id>
      <name>Maven central repository</name>
      <url>http://ibiblio.org/maven2</url>
    </repository>
  </repositories>

I am a Maven newbie that I don't know whether file: repositories
are actually supported.  A relative locator would even be nicer.

The Internet repositories can still be used for thoses JARs for
which the are legal reasons not to store them on ASF servers.

I don't see, how storing some 100 jarfiles totaling 100 MB like
it is now for 2.1 should endanger the SVN infrastructure, if it
is used on the SVN checkouts and commits.

The drawback is of course that one has to checkout the whole thing
even for building a mini-subset of Cocoon blocks.  But that is
something to worry about when the blocks a-la-carte actually works.
Until then a reliable build system is much more important.

Cheers, Alfred.