On 2009-03-17, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hmmm. Actually it is possible if the Gump descriptor could be used to map a
> specific artifact to a different one, e.g. commons-lang:commons-lang:* to
> org.apache.commons:commons-lang-backcomp:3.x.

Yes, that could work, but it still would require a 1:1 mapping of
artifacts used during the mvn build and artifacts built by Gump.
I.e. we'd need a backcompat jar that not only contained the "legacy"
classes but also the trunk content of commons-lang, it wouldn't be
possible to only have the "old" code in it because we can't have more
than one jar for commons-lang.

And then there is the problem of different projects sharing the same
local repository.  When one project gets the "normal" commons-lang
artifacts Gump's proxy will never be asked for it by later projects -
this can be solved by using separate local repositories for projects
that need the legacy code.

> Since CL backcomp must be dependent on CL, it is available
> transitively. But I don't know Gump well enough ...

Gump doesn't provide the POMs, it uses them of the original
repository.  So far I didn't dare creating POMs based on the Gump
descriptors since the later lack a lot of information and even the
dependency list in the Gump descriptor may be incomplete because it is
just based on observations and not knowledge in many cases.

Stefan