Hi Phil,

Phil Steitz wrote:

[snip]

>>> 1.4 (JDBC 4) version:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.4-rc1
>>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.4-rc1/site
>>> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/dbcp-1.4-rc1/maven
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/dbcp/tags/DBCP_1_4_RC1/
>>
>> Builds from source and runs tests with IcedTea6 1.6.2, Sun JDK 1.6 and
>> Sun JDK 1.7.0.0.alpha69 (add to README.txt ?!?). However it fails with
>> IBM 1.6.0.6:
>>
>> ========================== %< ================================

>> Test set: org.apache.commons.dbcp.managed.TestBasicManagedDataSource

>> Tests run: 46, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 3.398
>> sec <<< FAILURE!

testReallyClose(org.apache.commons.dbcp.managed.TestBasicManagedDataSource)
>> Time elapsed: 0.066 sec  <<< FAILURE!
>> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Expecting SQLException -
>> XAResources orphaned
>> at junit.framework.Assert.fail(Assert.java:47)
>> at

org.apache.commons.dbcp.managed.TestBasicManagedDataSource.testReallyClose(TestBasicManagedDataSource.java:72)

> I could use some help debugging this one.  I do not have the JDK to
> test with and the failure makes no sense to me.  Does it happen
> every time?

It seems it was caused by a difference in the WeakReference implementation.
The DelegactingConnection returned the same hashCode than the inner
connection. However, both instances were kept in the registry in xaReference
(a WeakMap). After using a distinguishable hashCode, the test succeeds also
with IBM JDK.

Additionally I dropped the JDK 1.4 deps from the POM.

I'll look into DBCP 1.3 ASAP - it got too late now ;-)

- Jörg