Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 08/06/2010 23:07, Bill Rossi a écrit :
>> Luc,
>>
>> I'm OK with providing an ICLA or SGA or both.  A bit of history on the
>> project to help you decide what is appropriate:
>>
>> While working for my employer some last year we noticed some of these
>> functions were slow.  I quickly wrote a couple of faster replacements.
>>
>> Seperately I decided to take the idea and see how far I could push it.
>> On my own time I developed an new implementaion that had all the
>> characteristics I described earlier.
>>
>> Although it seemed unlikely that my employer would try claim ownership
>> of software that I didn't write for them, I have asked for and  obtained
>> a written declaration from them saying they have no claim on it.
>
> Then I would ask you if you could provide a Software Grant Agreement,
> signed by yourself.
>
>> It was an interesting project and I'm just tring to solve this problem
>> so others won't have to deal with it again.   I'm happy to help maintain
>> it, but I do have a limited amount of time available for that.
>
> We all have limited time, so we would be happy with someone like you
> helping us.

+1 - welcome, Bill!

>> As for the size of the project, the software itself is 2690 lines.  The
>> test cases and tools used to create the software add an additional 2430
>> lines.  The project was started in Oct 2009, so not quite a year yet.
>
> Whoa. It is a huge project! We definitely need a SGA for such a beast.
>
> So the next step would be as James advised: open a JIRA issue explaining
> your proposal and including a link to this thread
> (<http://markmail.org/message/zyeoguw6gwtofm62>) and attach an archive
> with the code on it so we can review it. You should also send both an
> SGA and an ICLA to the foundation (these are legal papers, so a physical
> copy -fax or paper mail- is needed rather than an e-mail).
>
> We will discuss on this list about your proposal to decide if we can
> include it or not, with or without changes.
>
> Please keep in mind that we too have limited time, so we may take some
> time to review and discuss this. As an example, I already have to review
> a proposal made by another committer (Gilles), and failed to do it up to
> now (I'm sorry for that and will try to do it soon).

I will also have a look, but it may take me a while as I am
similarly backed up.  One point Luc made above is worth repeating.
What we really value most is *volunteers* to join us and contribute
to our community. Good code can help grow the community, but good
code with no community support always ends up draining energy.  So
my question to the community at large is, is this codebase something
you are interested in using, working on and supporting?  It would be
great to have at least a handful of people interested in working in
this new area for [math].

Ted also made a good point on suitability for inclusion in the JDK.
 Things developed @apache have been incorporated in the Java
language in the past, so this is a natural thing for us to do; but
it does raise the question why has this not already been considered
or done in the JDK (or for that matter in the native libraries that
the JDK uses)?  I have not dug into the code yet or thought through
the consequences or numerical foundations of the approach, but it
would be good to talk about these things as we evaluate the code. We
may find that the numerical approach is suitable for other areas of
[math] as well.

Thanks again, Bill, for your interest in contributing to [math] and
welcome to Commons!

Phil