Hi Niall,

The source of the misunderstanding regarding the usage of chain may be
my fault. Thank you very much for piping up and letting us know some
of the history regarding the chain project.

I was under the assumption that all keys of a Context were String
because in ContextBase in the initialization method we have:

        // Retrieve the set of property descriptors for this Context class
        try {
            pd = Introspector.getBeanInfo
                (getClass()).getPropertyDescriptors();
        } catch (IntrospectionException e) {
            pd = new PropertyDescriptor[0]; // Should never happen
        }

        // Initialize the underlying Map contents
        for (int i = 0; i < pd.length; i++) {
            String name = pd[i].getName();

            // Add descriptor (ignoring getClass() and isEmpty())
            if (!("class".equals(name) || "empty".equals(name))) {
                if (descriptors == null) {
                    descriptors = new HashMap<String,
PropertyDescriptor>((pd.length - 2));
                }
                descriptors.put(name, pd[i]);
                super.put(name, singleton);
            }
        }

When you look at the method signature on FeatureDesriptor for
getName() for the following call:

String name = pd[i].getName();

you will see that the only acceptable choice is a string. Thus, if you
are subclassing ContextBase, you have to use Strings as keys in order
to make the BeanUtils glue work or you have to have a beanless
context.

I'm of the opinion that standardizing on String or <? extends
CharSequence> as the generic key for Context will make using Context
far more usable. Otherwise, if you use a non-string key, you will be
fighting many parts of the API that assume a String key.

Also, what made me assume that the contract was for String-only keys
was the fact that the test cases only use String keys (that is unless
my memory is failing me).

Thanks,
-Elijah