Hi Simo,

Sorry I was late replying. I've been away at a wedding.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Command<K, V, C extends Context<K, V>>. I
agree with you that the it is syntactically clunky. Moreover, I'm not
convinced that the Context design needs to be improved other than the
addition of generics. It is a simple tool that does a simple thing. A
Context allows you to pass state to commands so that a command is always
stateless.

Here are some things that I like about the current context implementation
with Generics.

For example, if we have the following classes:

public class RoomContext extends HashMap<String, Object> implements Context
{
    public static final String HOUSE_NUMBER_KEY = "houseNumber";

    public RoomContext() {}

    public RoomContext(Map<? extends String, ? extends Object> map) {
       super(map);
    }

    public Integer getHouseNumber() {
         return get(HOUSE_NUMBER_KEY);
    }

    public void setHouseNumber(Integer houseNumber) {
         put(HOUSE_NUMBER_KEY,
    }
}

public class KitchenContext extends RoomContext {
    public KitchenContext() {}

    public KitchenContext(Map<? extends String, ? extends Object> map) {
       super(map);
    }

    public static final String STOVE_NAME_KEY = "stoveName";

    public String getStoveName() {
        return get(STOVE_NAME_KEY);
    }

    public void setStoveName(String name) {
        put(STOVE_NAME_KEY, name);
    }

}

public class BedroomContext extends RoomContext {
    public BedroomContext() {}

    public BedroomContext(Map<? extends String, ? extends Object> map) {
       super(map);
    }

    public static final String BED_COLOR_KEY = "bedColor";

    public String getBedColor() {
         return get(BED_COLOR_KEY);
    }

    public void setBedColor(String color)
         // Excuse the American spelling ;)
         put(BED_COLOR_KEY, color);
    }
}

One of the nice things that I can do is this.

KitchenContext kitchen = getInstanceFromSomewhere();
BedroomContext bedroom = new BedroomContext(kitchen);

This would allow me to prepopulate a bedroom object with the relevant house
values and other values from kitchen that I might want to use in subclasses.
That said, sure - you could shoot yourself in the foot with this pattern
(just like any others). Nonetheless, I've used this type of
state inheritance in a number of sequential data processing scenarios and as
long as I only access the getters and setters in the Command class
everything is quite testable and it has a clear to understand contract.
Basically, this is an argument to leave Context inheriting from Map.

Then when the Command is defined as so:

public class RecordHouseNumber implements Command<? extends HouseContext> {
    boolean execute(HouseContext context) throws Exception {
        DataSourceOfSomeKind datasource =
SomeExternalResource.getDataSource();

        datasource.storeHouseNumber(context.getHouseNumber());
    }
}

I don't need to do any casting or any trickery to use beans from a context.
Also, I can just use the context in the class hierarchy that implements the
least amount of functionality needed for a given Command.

Excuse my rambling, but let's return to: Command<K, V, C extends Context<K,

I believe this is unnecessary because if we leave Command defined without
the K,V generic types like so:

public interface Command<C extends Context> {
    public static final boolean CONTINUE_PROCESSING = false;
    public static final boolean PROCESSING_COMPLETE = true;

    boolean execute(C context) throws Exception;
}

Then we can still access the context's generic methods when we use a command
that implements generics, like so:

public class FooContext extends HashMap<String, Object> implements
Context<String, Object> {

    public <T> T retrieve(String K) {
        return (T)get(K);
    }

}

public class FooCommand implements Command<FooContext> {

    public boolean execute(FooContext context) throws Exception {
        Set<Entry<String,Object>> entrySet =  context.entrySet();

        // do something

        return true;
    }
}

So, as I see it Command<K, V, C extends Context<K, V>> is unneeded.

I will draft a patch that shows, how I would suggest the API to look with
Context<K,V> instead of Context<String, Object>

Ok. I've talked too much. I hope I was able to communicate my ideas clearly.

Thank you,
-Elijah