Except in nested loops: Which integer is being incremented, the inner loop or outer loop? If the outer loop used outer instead of i, and the inner loop used inner instead of j, then the loop being incremented is obvious.

Idioms make sense as long as they're *your* idioms. To others it's confusing.

-Adrian