On Mar 31, 2012, at 10:23 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 2012-04-01, Ralph Goers wrote:
>
>> From the vfs2 log it looks like it is running into a binary
>> incompatibility with SLF4J. vfs2 is specifying SLF4J 1.5.5 but mvn
>> dependency:tree is showing me that Jackrabbit is referencing
>> jcl-over-slf4j and is using 1.5.3.  I've added that to the vfs2 pom in
>> hopes that Gump will honor it.
>
> It won't.  Gump puts a proxy between mvn and the repo and always serves
> the latest version by artifactId/groupId coordinates.  If a project
> breaks backwards compatibility without changing either of them Gump
> doesn't provide any proper way to deal with it.
>
>> If it is trying to use the latest SLF4J then this can't be fixed as
>> 1.6.0 introduced a breakage with LocationAwareLogger (at my request by
>> the way). vfs2 doesn't actually use SLF4J - Jackrabbit does.
>
> Given VFS is not the only project suffering from this and the slf4j
> project never asked for being included in Gump it might be the best idea
> to stop building slf4j in Gump and give the remaining projects the
> version they ask for.

Actually, I think there is something else wrong.  I just looked at the last
Gump run for VFS2 and it is complaining that there are multiple SLF4J bindings.
The first is coming from slf4j-log4j12 which I believe binds SLF4j to Log4j.
The second is coming from Jackrabbit itself. I did a jar -tf on
jackrabbit-standalone-1.6.5.jar and it includes a whole pile of  classes that
aren't from Jackrabbit. I believe Gary added this to be able to test WebDAV
directly during the build. I have no idea why we don't encounter any errors
during the normal build as -X shows both jars are present on the test class
path.

Ralph