On 28 May 2012 13:28, Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org> wrote:
> Hi Gilles,
>
> 2012/5/28 Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>:
>> Hello.

>>> I have to say I do not like implicit conversions, that's why I tend to
>>> always use Integer.valueOf and the likes.
>>
>> Why?
>>
> This is going to get "philosophical": I would not dare to claim that
> I'm holding *the* truth, this is only my way of seeing things. I do
> not like things to happen implicitely, because I think that it opens a
> door to errors (this would not be true of professional programmers,
> but remember that I work in an environment where people are not real
> computer scientists... so my philosophy is "close as many doors as you
> can"...). I even think that J. Bloch has a nice example of potential
> issues with auto-boxing. However, I agree with you: calling valueOf in
> this context (that is: building a new exception) is certainly
> far-fetched.
>
> That was the initial reason why I moved from C++ to Java ten years
> ago: too many things happened "behind my back". Again, I'm not saying
> that C++ is evil. I'm just saying that I did not have the background
> with C++ to be fully aware of these implicit assumptions, and their
> potential consequences.
>
> I'm pretty sure I will not convince you on this. I hope I have at
> least convinced you that I have a good reason to do it this way :-)

I agree with you - making boxing explicit is better.

The reasoning is that implicit boxing/unboxing can hide ineffiicient
conversions as well as subtle bugs.
I've seen code which treats the same item variously as a Integer and
an int for no good reason.
The compiler warnings allow the careful programmer to investigate and
choose one or the other.

Yes, the code is a bit longer, but it clearly shows that the
boxing/unboxing was intended, and not an accident of compiler
"helpfulness".