I had a little time tonight to look at the deprecated methods again.
This time around, the dependencies made more sense, so I just cut a
patch that removes the deprecated methods. Please see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CHAIN-71

Now, that I am a committer, can I go ahead and check in the changes
and mark the issue as fixed if I get the ok from everyone on the
mailing list?

Thanks,
-Elijah