Hi,

2012/9/10 Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>:
> [...]
>> > implement a subclass of the standard NPE: callers could do
>> >
>> >  try {
>> >    // Call CM
>> >  } catch (NullPointerException e) {
>> >    // Handle NPE (raised by the JVM _or_ by CM).
>> >  }
>> >
>> > However, this breaks the consensus we arrived at (for v4.0) about CM
>> > throwing only subclasses of "MathRuntimeExceprion" (singly rooted
>> > hierarchy).
>> >
>> > Phil proposes to throw MathIAE (IMO, it must be the specific
>> > "NullArgumentException"), but this breaks the above use-case: Users have to
>> > do
>> >
>> >  try {
>> >    // Call CM
>> >  } catch (NullPointerException e) {
>> >    // Handle NPE (raised by the JVM).
>> >  } catch (NullArgumentException e)
>> >    // Handle NPE (raised by CM).
>> >  }
>> >
>> > showing blatantly that CM is not consistent: sometimes it lets a JVM
>> > exception propagate, and sometimes it catches the problem eralier and
>> > throws
>> > an exception that is not in the same hierarchy (NPE vs IAE or, in 4.0,
>> > "MathRuntimeException").
>> > This is the current state of affairs, and I think that it is not
>> > satisfactory. [As proven by this issue having recurred two or three times
>> > already.]
>> >
>> > In light of this, I propose that either
>> > * Phil changes his mind (no check for null performed in CM code), or
>> > * we make an exception to the singly-rooted hierarchy just for
>> >   "NullArgumentException" (which, in 4.0, would become a subclass of the
>> >   standard NPE).
>>
>> Why not just leave things alone [...]
>
> For the reason I gave above: the inconsistent/non-existent policy will make
> the issue recur sooner or later, as it happened now with Sébastien, as it
> happened with me when I first signalled the burden of checked excpetions and
> later when we agreed about MathRuntimeException, then changed again, to come
> back again now, to where we were almost two years ago (IIRC)...
>
>> - i.e., let some APIs document null
>> handling and throw IAE at the point of method invocation when
>> supplying a null violates the documented API contract?
>
> The answer to that question is in the previous post.
>
>> We can leave the (needless, IMO) NullArgumentException as a subclass
>> of MathIAE in place, or drop it and throw MathIAE directly in these
>> cases.
>
> "NullArgumentException" is about as needless as any subclass of "Exception"
> or "RuntimeException". Either we use inheritance for what it's primarily
> meant or we choose another, non-OO, language.
>
> This is going in circles; some people will drop from the discussion (or
> already did) and some time from now, someone will "rediscover" this, among
> other little defects of CM. These are worth correcting, but not worth
> discussing endlessly.
>
> Let's just have all people here provide their preference and be done with

Since there is no way to enforce a strict policy on checking for null
in CM, I think that NAE is useless, and should be droped.
If we assume that every user of CM can use a debugger, then probably
(and contrary to what I advocated earlier), checking early for null is
also superfluous.
I tend to document arguments which *can* be null (I think someone else
also mentioned this practice), so that it's fairly safe (as someone
already wrote) to assume that all other arguments *must* be non-null.

To sum up, I would favor complete removal of NAE. As for existing
checks, I would either remove them, or throw an argumentless standard
NPE.

Phil was talking about loss of robustness. I don't think that CM as a
whole is robust with respect to null pointers. In some places, the
code fails in the standard way (NPE), while in others, it fails in a
fully documented way. Since this is inconsistent, I don't think we
should be afraid of losing robustness in the case of complete removal
of existing checks for null. Again, I'm happy to keep them, but I'd
rather throw a standard NPE in this case.

Sébastien