Hi,

In my opinion is that the whole weights fiasco is consequence of improper
design, as much as anything else. All components should be as simple as
possible, with any additional add ons, like weights, not added to the base
implementation, but instead done as an extension of these classes. If these was
done, all the optimization packages would have been just fine, and only the
extension classes would need fixing.

I am very against having a correlation function be an input to the basic
optimizers. The eigendecomposition of the matrix is an O(N^3) operation, which
could be actually more expensive than the whole optimization. In addition you
are doing this inversion every time you call the optimize method. If you are
trying to do multiple starting points, you are forcing an inversion to be done
each time.