On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Thomas Neidhart
<thomas.neidh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/12/2013 05:37 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Thomas Neidhart
>> <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to do a similar cleanup as for email also for logging and
>>> aim for a 1.2 release in the coming weeks. The things I have in mind:
>>>
>>>  * update to Java 5
>>>  * comply to default maven structure
>>>  * update to Junit 4
>>>  * fix the open issues wrt thread safety
>>>  * replace WeakHashtable with a WeakHashMap or a ConcurrentHashMap (see
>>>    LOGGING-119)
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> from technical point of view +1.
>> But do you really think its worth fixing [logging]?
>> As I see it its just for use of legacy applications. Or are you
>> looking to implement commons-logging 2.0 which supports f.e. logback
>> or log4j2?
>>
>> If you go with java5 it probably does not have use for legacy apps and
>> with the lack of modern logging framework support it does not have use
>> for modern apps.
>
> Well, the main idea is to maintain an old library with useful bugfixes.
> My thought was that *nobody* uses Java < 5 anymore, but this assumption
> may be wrong. In general I am fine with keeping the current java
> compatibility settings.

Basically I am +1 on moving to newer JDKs. But in this case I just see
use for old and older applications.
That said, I just checked and saw tomcat is still using commons-logging:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/build.xml

Maybe Mark will comment here.

That said, if we level up the jdk depedency we should also bump the
major version number

Cheers

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de