Hi Benedikt,

I made the decision to inherit from ConcurrentHashMap because the original
implementation was inheriting from HashMap. I was doing an incremental
refactoring approach and there was never a good justification for that
design rather I was trying to make evolutionary improvements. Being able to
plug in any map implementation would be a far better design. As for the
original design decision to use a HashMap, I have no insight. There were
quite a few design enigmas that I encountered, however if you look at the
date of the original project I don't think it is unusual.

Best of luck,
-Elijah