On 08/12/2013 12:19 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

> [...]
>>> from in Commons Math, and when trying to fix some inconsistency
>>> or removing duplicate code, I tried to retain what could be from
>>> the existing design.]
>> I've looked at the implementations of GN and LM and it seems that the
>> abstract classes are primarily concerned with evaluating the model, and
>> the concrete classes use the evaluation to compute the next step. I
>> think separating those two concerns could simplify the implementation of
>> the optimizers. The NLLSProblem class would provide methods to evaluate
>> the weighted Jacobian, residuals, etc. The concrete class would look
>> almost the same as they do today, except calls to the parent class would
>> be replaced with calls to the NLLSProblem class.
>>
>> The benefit is that the optimizer implementation/hierarchy would be
>> simpler and other classes could use the methods for model evaluation. I
>> don't think keeping the optimization algorithm and data in the same
>> class gains much since all the scratch space is reallocated on each call
>> to optimize. (Performance will be about the same either way.)

>>> I think I don't get your point: If someone extends a class that is safe
>>> in a way that the extension is unsafe, that's his problem. ;-)

>>> I agree that using immutability is easier, but my point all along is that
>>> it is at odds with simplicity (which is aimed at with "fluent API").
>>> And since
>>> 1. the internals of the optimizers are not thread-safe yet (see e.g.
>>>    LevenbergMarquardtOptimizer"), and
>> Though the LM implementation looks like a mess in Java, the Fortran it
>> was translated from (thanks Luc) is purely procedural. The required
>> change would be allocating the arrays in doOptimize() as locals instead
>> of as instance variables.

>>> Can you explain this a little more?  I am still not getting the use
>>> case requiring concurrent access to a single optimizer instance.  It
>>> appears that you have one.  It would be good to understand it better.
>> Sure. I have class that has to solve different NLLS problems
>> concurrently. The problems share the same convergence criteria, but use
>> different model functions. With the current implementation that means I
>> need one optimizer per thread.
> How bad is that, actually?  That is what I am not getting.  Why do
> you need a thread-safe facade when all you are doing is creating new
> instances per thread?  Sorry if I am missing something simple here.
>
> <side rant>Historically, we did not care about thread-safety at all
> in [math], assuming the standard use case was *always* going to be
> one instance per thread.  The statistics aggregators are an example
> where multithreaded access makes sense, but this is much more the
> exception than the rule in [math].  I would really like to get clear
> on which classes really need to be threadsafe themselves rather than
> blindly assuming that all do and insisting that everything be
> immutable so that we don't have to think about how to make things

How bad is it to use a library though wrapper classes? Well it is
annoying to have to design my own optimization API that delegates to the
C-M implementations. From the posts on the users list I think other
people were confused by the old API and probably developed their own
wrappers to insulate themselves from it. When I saw the optimization
package was being redesigned in an backward incompatible way, I thought
it was an opportunity to address a range of concerns that are easiest to
address early in the design process. Luc's original fluent + immutable
proposal would have allowed thread safety. (If not initially, it could
be implemented through patches with no change to the API.) The
separation of algorithm and data would allow each to be much simpler
while still allowing for thread safety and a fluent API. (I.e. GN would
not need 5 superclasses and fields for storing upper and lower bounds.)

With the API re-design you have the opportunity to design for thread
safety, which can be hard to add on to an existing API.

Thanks for the whole discussion; It has given me some new ideas. :)

Regards,
Evan