On 11 Oct 2013, at 15:28, Ted Dunning wrote:

I hate myself a bit for jumping in here, but as much as I prefer git, I
really don't think that changing will make that much difference.

Well, obviously I think it matters (see my other threads).

The problem with commons is that people have much more energy for
interminable conversations about things that don't much matter (like this
thread).

But this is a [VOTE] thread and not meant for discussion ;-)

People who do things don't generally want to talk them to death. If half the energy that goes into long debates went into coding for commons there wouldn't be a problem. Long discussions about whether discussions about things that might make coding easier are even worse than a long discussions
so I am now part of the problem.

Perhaps a good rule of thumb would be no more than 5 email messages about non-code issues per patch that you have posted to a commons component. I
am probably at or beyond that limit so I will shut up and not respond
further.

I don't see the Commons discussions as toxic in a way and can't agree
to a "mail / patch" ratio.

Given that the open source community has gradually been re-inventing
aspects of scientific society (salons = meetups, RS = ASF and so on) maybe
it is time to invent something like peer review to moderate the long
conversations.

Maybe you should just say -1 or whatever else you think and we tally the votes afterwards.

Cheers
Christian