On 14 Oct 2013, at 9:13, Mark Thomas wrote:

On 13/10/2013 23:59, sebb wrote:
On 13 October 2013 20:47, Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/13/13 8:09 AM, James Carman wrote:
Well, it has been 72 hours, so let's tally up the votes. As I see it
(counting votes on both lists):

+1s
James Carman
Romain Manni-Bucau
Matt Benson
Benedikt Ritter
Bruno Kinoshita
Gary Gregory
Luc Maisonobe
Oliver Heger
Christian Grobmeier
Torsten Curdt

-1s
Mark Thomas
Thomas Vandahl
Damjan Jovanovic
Gilles Sadowski
Jorg Schaible

+0.5
Olivier Lamy

+0
Ralph Goers

-0
Emmanuel Bourg

The vote passes, so Apache Commons will be moving to Git for SCM. We should begin working on a plan. I propose we set up a wiki page for
that.

I protest.  It is fine for some components to experiment, but if we
are going to force all to move, we really need consensus and that is
clearly not the case here.  I did not vote as I frankly saw the VOTE
as premature.  We should use VOTEs as a last resort, not a first
step or way to avoid getting to consensus on non-release issues.

I agree entirely with Phil.

I would have voted -1 earlier, but was off-line for a few days.
This is a huge change, and should not be bulldozed through.

I too challenge the assertion that there is consensus for this change.

I also agree with Sebb's characterisation of this being "bulldozed through".

I disagree.

We have discussed it, we had a vote. We have not voted to push a red button on friday and to work with git alone on saturday. This was a vote for a general decision and it is clear (or should be) that changes like that are not made in a single day.

Now what are you folks expecting? A full-fleshed out plan how to move? I think we should
first decide IF we move and that was was happening here.

It was also pretty clear to start with a small step first and move a single component. If that would went wrong we could either go back without bigger loss or discuss what needs to be improved.

We are not using experimental bleeding edge technology here. We just wanted to decide if we will follow the git path or not.

I really can't see anything bulldozed here.

I have no objection to a switch to git for those components where there
is consensus to do so amongst the active developers.

I continue to strongly recommend that a single component volunteers to
be the svn->git guinea pig for Commons and that we allow that component
to work out any issues that crop up before any mass switch starts. If
there are no issues, great. If there are issues, better to have to deal
with one set of them rather than 40+ sets.

I have not understood it otherwise.
Why did you start to believe we move all components at once?

Further, if the consensus amongst the active developers on a component
is that they wish to stick to svn, I see no why that component should be
forced to switch to git.

I had the idea too and support it.

Cheers
Christian