On 11/4/13 8:49 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ATM sirona (a java monitoring library in incubator) relies a lot on
> Summary stats object from [math3] but it needed a lock to ensure
> consistency. I know there is a synchronized version but this one
> scales less then the locked one.
>
> My question is quite simple then: will [math] add an implementation
> with thread safety guarantee and good performances? I think for
> instance to the LongAdder of Doug Lea which could be used as a good
> base.

The short answer is yes, patches welcome.

Ted makes a good point, though; and there is already some support
for aggregation in the stats classes in [math] (i.e., you can
aggregate the results of per-thread stats by using, e.g.
AggregateSummaryStatistics#aggregate).  See MATH-1016 re extending
this to more stats.

Phil