On 20 Aug 2014, at 19:35, Thomas Vandahl wrote:

On 20.08.14 15:37, Gary Gregory wrote:
On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:28 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 20 August 2014 14:04, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Moving discussion about logging from [JCS-122] to this dev ML.

Why not use Log4j 2, uses can redirect logging to other frameworks if
needed.

Why not use Commons Logging, can redirect logging to other frameworks if
needed?

I'd like to think that Commons Logging has been deprecated by Log4j 2 can do the same thing (in principle) AND provide it's own advanced logging
framework.

Gary, you are PMC chair of which PMC again? Commons-logging 1.2 has been
released just in July.

With all due respect, this didn't take the label "deprecated" from commons-logging.

Maybe a few exceptions (as Tomcat as I heard) use commons-logging,
but this doesn't make a difference. commons-logging lacks of a modern api and with all talks I gave on the logging subject nobody was interested in it.

commons-logging is just bug fix release, and any new feature would be a surprise:
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-logging/changes-report.html

For me there are no clear reasons why anybody should use commons-logging
and I was pretty much surprised that somebody was willing to cut a bugfix release.

Sorry, but this lib is doomed.

Cheers,
Christian

Bye, Thomas