Hi folks,

I am perfectly aware that I was saying CL needs to be deprecated only
before month.
Tomcat uses CL and that was more or less the reason it would stay - so I
thought.
Recently I talked to a person actively involved in Spring. He explained,
Spring would use
CL and they are quite happy with it. Reason: it's always the same.

He also told me that - rather having a new JSR with new interfaces which
would be difficult to get into the JDK - he would love to have some kind
of CL 2.0.

To be honest, it made me think and reconsider whatever I have thought or
said in the past. I know Mark did say similar things, but maybe it is
the power of a direct conversation.

I am still unsure if a CL 2.0 would be needed or not and thats why I
outreach here to ask for your feelings/opinions whatever.

We have a Log4j2 which is really good. We have a slf4j which is fine.
And we have a CL 1.x which is, well dated.

Would it make sense to have a CL 2.0 which is more or less (maybe with
small adjustments, despite the major version jump) a drop in
replacement? It could just add some methods or things like variable
substitutions, and thats it. Nothing big. Modern JVM support, some more
methods. The rest all the same, except log4j 2 support (which is also
provided by the log4j project).

As mentioned I am still undecided. But CL 2.0 could be a minimal
interface for consumers looking for stability instead of tons of
features. However a bit more "modern taste" doesn't hurt, as long as it
doesn't break things (too much).

Thoughts?

Christian