On 2015-02-02, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

> I have a patch waiting to be committed to commons-imaging which uses
> the LZW stuff in commons-compress (brief mention of it by me on
> IMAGING-126), so it could break with these changes. My hope was to
> wait for the next release of compress before committing, so I could
> use that version of compress as a dependency.

Thank you for chiming in, Damjan.  Could you please take a look at
Sebb's patch in COMPRESS-300 to see whether it takes away features you
actually need for Imaging?

If we expose LZWInputStream we should do so in a way that it remains
useful outside of Compress as well.  I don't think protected fields are
necessary to achieve this, but being able to modify the fields freely
may be.

Stefan