Hello Uwe,

> Java 1.6 would be old enough I think.
>
> But, JXPath doesn't follow the three digit version schema.
> So any change of Java dependency may should force a major change.

Are you referring to SemVer here? I'm not sure it contains any rules about
changes to the platform a component is running on. From an API PoV we won't
break anything.

> How will it handled in other Commons with projects two digit version
> schema?

Usually only have three digit versions when we release a bugfix. So we
start with for example 1.0, then release 1.1 and 1.2 and if we need to
bugfix 1.2 that will become 1.2.1. Maybe it would be better to have three
digit versions all the way around.

> Maybe should be used: http://www.mojohaus.org/animal-sniffer/

Doesn't work with Java < 1.5 :-(

Benedikt