On 25 November 2015 at 16:49, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 11:57 PM, Uwe Barthel <bart...@x-reizend.de> wrote:
>

>> > Do you like to start these changes before or after the release 1.4?
>>>>

>> Maybe my statement was a bit ambiguous. I'm fine with a Java version 1.6
>> or 1.7 but would not wait until the code is overall refurbished.
>

> RERO! :-)

Repent at leisure.

>> The problem with JDK 1.4 is, that I don't have it on any machine. The
>>> oldest JDK you can get for Mac OS X to my knowledge is 1.6.
>>>

>> Unfortunately, same here.
>

> No longer supporting 1.4 is not a showstopper IMO. Bumping the JRE to 1.6
> or 1.7 and releasing would be OK with me.

Same here.

However, since the code was written for 1.4, it won't have generics support.

Do we want to release code which requires 1.5+ but which does not
compile cleanly on 1.5+?

It's quite a lot of work adding generics, and mistakes can be hard to
correct without potentially causing compatibility issues.

I don't think there is an easy solution here. However, unless the time
can be put in to add generics properly, I think it would be better not
to do so at all.
In which case, change the Java version to the minimum that is easy to
build/test, i.e. 1.6.
This would be with the intention of doing another release before too
long that fixes up generics etc.
That could target 1.7.