> In effect, some time ago we evoked the possibility to drop GA support
> altogether since the code seemed little used and a lot of work was
> anticipated for making it useful beyond demo applications.

It is rather surprising, that ASF doesn't have any complex and extensive AI
instruments. I was looking for ANN some time ago and found only Mahout,
which seemed rather idle.
But Commons projects, IMO, are a good place for GA, while there is no
activity on AI merging/separating.

but lacking human resources
> it's unlikely to become a reality any time soon.

 You can always point to lacking features by opening JIRA reports, but
> unless
> you intend to work on them yourself, I wouldn't bet on having them fixed
> rapidly.

If someone would want to start a large overhaul of the GA code, that is
> worth considering.

There surely can be a big scope. Btw, I'm still a student (last year of
BS).
So, I can do things listed and some more as a GSoC project (I was planning
to participate anyway).
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RT_zNfBdf8rX2p5Qo0bIQ28SqwWUVPwfKmjStwK8SCw/edit#
- I wrote my vision and ready to refine it,
if you care to comment.

I find it strange, that ASF list for GSoC doesn't include any Commons
projects or widely known (Cassandram Solr, Kafka, etc.) Is it even possible
to participate on behalf of Commons Math this year?

Do you mean using an existing library, or do you suggest implementing the
> functionality specifically for CM?
>
> I'm not sure, which way is preferred. There is Commons Pool, that can
become a dependency, but is it okay to get any dependencies beside Junit?
And implementing It would definitely enlarge codebase. Which is less of two
evils?