> > So? What's your point there?
>
> Commons libraries are generally very low level, and are often embedded
> deep within software stacks.
>
> So changes which require downstream changes are expensive when
> considered as a whole.
>
> This is very different from many other ASF projects which can
> generally be updated independently because there are no dependencies
> on them.
>
> My view is that we must not ignore the effect of Commons changes on
> the entire ecosystem.

Understood - but maybe we should also not overstate its role.

If we release something it does not automatically get applied to all those
software stacks. Only once people decide to upgrade will it end up in those
stacks.

And if people upgrade from foo 1.x to 2.x and expect everything to just
work then those are not the people we should take into consideration for
this discussion.

cheers,
Torsten