> On Sep 18, 2016, at 7:22 AM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 16:07:41 +0200, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Rob Tompkins wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Given that the long term goals of commons-math are fairly uncertain, I
>>> would like to attempt working with some short term goals. The hope here is
>>> to think about questions along the lines of: "what can be done today/this
>>> week/this month,” with the goal aiming at chipping away at what I’ll call,
>>> for lack of a better term, technical debt. I have a couple of thoughts and
>>> am curious to see what folks generally think here. Here are some ideas
>>> that immediately come to mind:
>>>
>>> Items achievable in a few hours:
>>> Move to the develop branch to the master branch.
>>> Get travis-ci/coveralls working for pull requests.

Given the lack of comments here, that feels like a "go for it.” But, I am
curious what the code in “master” represents? I ask because it seems that it’s
drifted considerably from the release of 3.6.1.

If I do go down this road, I probably would keep the current master branch
around for a while labeled as “master-old-<dateOfChange>” (or something along
those lines).

>>> Items achievable in a few days:
>>> Deprecation of the packages that duplicate functionality with commons-rng.
>>
>> +1 ... normally. However, IIRC correctly, Gilles once said that all the RNG
>> stuff was never part of a release.
>
> The package
>  org.apache.commons.math4.rng
> was created in the development branch (released CM code was from
> the "MATH_3_X" branch) intended for work towards v4.0 (which
> started in early 2015, by removing long deprecated codes).
>
> It was a complete rewrite (with fixes, extensions, additions, and
> removals) of code from
>  org.apache.commons.math4.random
> which has existed for a long time, and was named
>  org.apache.commons.math3.random
> in branch MATH_3_X
>
> IIUC, Rob means to deprecate, in branch "MATH_3_X", codes in
>  o.a.c.math3.random
> that could be replaced by equivalent functionality defined
> in Commons RNG.
>
> A minor release of CM3 would warn users about the changes to
> come.
> If they use the functionality from
>  o.a.c.math3.random
> in their own codes, they will already be able to upgrade
> (to Commons RNG).
> But if they use CM3 generators as arguments in calls to CM3,
> then no replacements will be available, as only (unreleased)
> CM4 can be (and has been) upgraded to depend on Commons RNG.

This would precisely be the idea. If we are intent on modularization, then we
should slim down the commons-math library such that it contains no duplications
from other commons components.

Lastly given those ideas, does anyone else have any ideas for what we can do
right now on commons-math?

Cheers.
-Rob