Github user bodewig commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/commons-compress/pull/13

    Some rough comparisons for larger files would be a good indicator.

    The existing code is pretty ugly because this seemed to be necessary for
acceptable performance back then. "Back then" is JDK 1.3 or 1.4, though.
Another aspect was that the code stayed close to libbzip2's C implementation
which in theory would have allowed us to port changes - which I don't think has
ever happened.

    Do you think you could create separate PRs for your javadoc typo fixes and
making methods static in GZIP? They are separate commits, which is most
important to me, but separate PRs looks even cleaner :-)

---
with INFRA.
---