Hi all

I've started to play with jmh[1] a bit, primarily as I wanted to tune
the LZ77 code a little before proposing the next release. Code is in my
github space[2]

While I was at it I thought it would be nice to compare the performance
of the compression formats we support:

https://github.com/bodewig/commons-compress-benchmarks/wiki/Comparison-of-Compression-Formats

As expected the performance of the zlib based native gzip/deflate
compressors/decompressors is superior to all others.  The performance of
the pure Java LZ77 I've implemented for snappy and lz4 doesn't look too
bad, but I'm surprised to see Snappy is so much faster than LZ4 (they
share most of the code). I'll write benchmarks for the Checksum algos
next, it might be the xxhash32 implementation being slower than the
crc32-c we've got.

By all means I'm not an expert in benchmarks, much less so in jmh, so if
I'm doing anything wrong, please tell me.

Stefan

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/code-tools/jmh/
[2] https://github.com/bodewig/commons-compress-benchmarks/