On 22 May 2017 at 23:29, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Don't you mean 4.0 since changing:
>
> - AbstractCircuitBreaker.addChangeListener(PropertyChangeListener)
> - AbstractCircuitBreaker.removeChangeListener(PropertyChangeListener)
>
> would break BC?

No. I meant 3.7. [lang] has a problem with versioning because it is
tied to JDK releases, so incompatible changes within a development
stream are tricky. This may be a case where BC could be broken. Or it
may not. (Up to the maintainers, not me)

There needs to be a JDK 9 modular compatible release of each
development stream given how low level it is within the ecosystem.
Now, there is no requirement to remove the java.desktop dependency,
but it will make [lang3] look rather odd, given what kind of library
it is trying to be.

One final option is to declare an optional dependency on java.desktop,
such that the AbstractCircuitBreaker will fail to load unless the
end-user manually chooses to add java.desktop. I don't like it, but it
may be a compromise for compatibility.

Stephen