On 20 June 2017 at 15:07, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2017-06-19, Simon Spero wrote:
>
>> Is there a set of commons code formatting conventions? More particularly,
>> is there a machine readable file of same? I use intellij, so native,
>> checkstyle, or Eclipse is fine.
>
> This probably would be something that was decided at the component level
> and may be different between components. Some components may not have
> any conventions at all - Compress is one such component for example:
> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/conventions.html
>
> I don't see any conventions documented for Text either.

AFAIK the only agreed upon Commons convention is NO TABS!

There are some other conventions here (not just formatting):

https://wiki.apache.org/commons/CodeStyle

If there is no documented convention, use the same convention as the
code you are changing.

Whilst this is not very 'tidy', it's better than multiple changes to
files just to change format.
Such changes make it hard to review commit emails and mess up historic
comparisons as well.