Eclipse lets you export the format rules as separate files.  My suggestion
was intended to mean that these files should be included, not the entire
.settings as that contains a number of local settings and my leak
confidential information. (I have not verified that it will leak
confidential information).

Another option would be to use something like:
http://code.revelc.net/formatter-maven-plugin/formatter-maven-plugin/usage.html
to format the code during the maven build.