On 2017-08-11, Philipp Grasboeck wrote:

> I think I may have found a regression in
> ArchiveFormatFactory.createArchiveInputStream.
> Please run the JUnit testcase at the end of this mail.
> It demonstrates the archive detection working with 1.10, but failing from
> 1.11 through 1.14

As already pointed out by James Ring, please see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-331

The code in 1.10 would accept streams as tar archives that were not
valid. We made the check as strict as the one of GNU tar and only accept
streams with a correct header checksum as tar archives.

> The file "COMPRESS-117.tar" is taken from commons-compress-1.9-src.zip.
> If it's not a bug, please let me know.

The file COMPRESS-117.tar gets rejected by GNU tar as well. Please see
COMPRESS-331 for a bit of history.

If you've got a tar archive which gets accepted by GNU tar but rejected
by Commons Compress, then this is a bug - and I'd ask you to open a new
issue and attach the archive.

Thanks

        Stefan