> > Based on that premise we could also just forget about checked exceptions
> > altogether.
>
> As Gary said (as Joshua Bloch said, as many people said), checked
> exceptions are for recoverable errors.

Maybe it boils down to the definition of "recoverable".

> Parsing an archive I personally don't see in that realm.
>
> Even if the archive is just garbage (or any non-supported file format)?

Especially then. Similar to

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/net/MalformedURLException.html

Comparing all the subclasses of

  https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/RuntimeException.html

vs

  https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/io/IOException.html

I do see this case fit naturally as a subclass of IOException.

> > I'd argue that signaling this problem should be a checked exception.
> > IMO this provides a clearer contract to the user.
>
> It doesn't.  The user would have a false sense of security believing so.

I guess I disagree there - and so seem the authors of the JDK.
But that's fine - I just wanted to give my 2 cents :)
I don't have enough stake anymore to keep this discussion going.

cheers,
Torsten