Hello,

I've made a new PR [1] for CONFIGURATION-753 as part of my
preparations for the next release. I'd like to get another pair of
eyes on it if possible since it adds to the public API. The primary
cause of the issue is that DefaultConversionHandler and
ConfigurationInterpolator use different logic when determining how to
convert container objects (e.g., collections and arrays) to strings.
DefaultConversionHandler chooses the first element from the container
and ConfigurationInterpolator just calls toString on the entire
container, resulting in inconsistent string interpolation results. The
change I made is to extract the ConfigurationInterpolator string
conversion logic into a configurable "stringConverter" function that
defaults to behave similarly to DefaultConversionHandler. If this
logic is not what users want, they are free to override it.

If anyone has time to give feedback on this, it would be much
appreciated, especially since I haven't worked with configuration much
before.

Regards,
Matt J

[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-configuration/pull/181