On Wed, 15 Jun 2022 at 01:20, Alex Remily <alex.rem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, all a user needs to do to use commons-crypto is to include it as
> a dependency in an application that runs on a supported operating system
> with a supported version of OpenSSL (1.0 and 1.1).  Commons-crypto
> dynamically, and IMO quite elegantly, determines the underlying OS and
> OpenSSL version and calls the correct corresponding JNI library and OpenSSL
> API.  It can do this because it packages JNI libraries for all supported
> operating systems with the distribution and it performs runtime version
> checks of OpenSSL.

Agreed, but that would still work if the user had to download the
appropriate OS version first.

> It *is* easier to perform a single-platform build, but
> that would require us to release a separate build for every supported OS,
> which I would argue is more complex than releasing one build for all
> supported operating systems.

I'm not convinced.

I think we would only have to release 2 versions:
- macOS plus any Linux versions
- Windows plus any Linux versions

>  Also, the heavy lifting of supporting a
> multi-OS build has already been done via the existing Dockerfile.  I don't
> see any reason to move away from the current release strategy.

Are you saying that the Dockerfile allows any developer to generate the build?

e.g. I have macOs but not Windows, so can I use Docker to build the
release to support Windows?