> I already commented elsewhere on why this is not a good fit for IO

My bad, I did not realise that discussion is closed with final resolution.
I read "what do others think?" and thought that it is about continuing
discussion.

> Instead of keeping on arguing to shove your library in IO

I thought about this discussion as a discussion, sorry if I am annoying you.
I always think that being open to discussion and finding solutions, talking
to other people is a good strategy: the probability to find a good solution
is higher in this case.

And sorry, but, honestly, I still don't see any good arguments (or few).
The last one, about ANT, seems to me (just in my opinion, maybe wrong) a
not very good argument.
And I tried to explain why, maybe not so clearly; since you mention ANT
again, my arguments are definitely not clear enough;
Apache ANT is great, but there is no such functionality, in my opinion.
Also, if I remember correctly, I tried to explain why Commons CSV is not
what my solution is doing.
If you believe that in-memory sort or csv parsing is what, roughly speaking,
my solution is doing (or these solutions can be compared) then we have
different points of view, and there would not be consensus.
And I think this is also my fault.

> I would survey other projects (see above) to see if common functionality
could be extracted and more importantly if these projects would then be
interested in relying on a new library (where it may reside) instead of
maintaining their own code.
> and maybe elsewhere (Tika, Lucene, Solr, Spark?)

Other Apache libraries - great! I will think about it. Thank you for that
point. It's really great.

I already said above that I am not insisting on Commons IO.
I am just looking for alternatives and want to hear other people's opinions.
Maybe some other Commons or non-Commons library, I am not familiar with the
whole ecosystem.
Maybe someone else could give me a hint.
And you actually did it, twice about ANT and several times about Commons
CSV, I really appreciate it.
That was the one of the reasons why I wrote here.

JDK itself supports Files and IO operations, also it supports sorting and
binary search. Proposed functionality is out of JDK's scope, for sure, but
it seemed to me that this is close to what JDK offers. Obviously I was
wrong.

I think this discussion can be finished.
If someone else has something to add please feel free to email me directly.

Again, sorry for disturbing.
I didn't want to bother anyone, and didn't realise that it is what I'm
doing.
Thanks for taking the time and for trying to explain to me where I'm wrong.

Have a nice day!

One more thing
> Too much like a database operation, IO is a lower level library, and so
on.
One of my colleagues also thinks that Commons-IO is not quite a suitable
place for this proposition. So I'm totally sure that this is really not a
suitable place.