On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 1:03 PM Bernd Eckenfels <e...@zusammenkunft.net>
wrote:

> Phil Steitz wrote on 13. Feb 2024 20:46 (GMT +01:00):
> > Thanks, Gary.  I agree with everything below.  I think it's best to just
> > leave things as they are.
>
> If it’s plugable the project might not have to care,
> But then how to fix the reported problem? Do we have an idea what’s
> causing it?

At this point, my best guess is that the app is not closing connections on
some exception paths.  Given that force-killing connections that will get
killed anyway on return improves the situation supports that idea, but I
have not dug into the application code.

> And a extension to that, using a conn3crion pool you expect it abstracts
> and handles all
> Those idiosyncrasies of different drivers, platforms and JDBC
> interpretations. Just giving
> Up is not the best option.

We decided years ago that we were not going to try to add special code for
every driver and I think that is a good decision.  The code is already
plenty complex.  I think the solution implemented now to fast fail
validation in this case is sufficient.  I don't think waiting to close
until the connection is returned is actually causing the reported problem.

> In my experience with a properitary (but very robust pool since it handles
> a small number of drivers)
> throwing away connections on concrete suspicion turned out to be helpful.
> Either by configurable state, substrings of error messages or actual
> sqlexception subtypes.
>
> But maybe additional validation is also fine as long as it uses strict
> timeouts, some control for paralysis and starvation. If I understand this
> would happen in the mentioned problem case, so is there a timeout missing.
>
> Having said that as a tip to OP use tcpkeepalive and lower the timeouts.
> It saved my ass more than once, especially with VIPs in place.

The liveness problem is a [pool] concern, per my recent post.  I think
getting support in [pool] for managing transient factory outages would
really help.  Any ideas that you have on how to do that would be much
appreciated.

Phil