So, let's see if I've correctly understood the commentary.

Once Mozilla makes a proper release of SpiderMonkey 1.8 available, and
I see it available in some popular* package management systems, I
should feel free to attempt to make the switch and submit a patch for
review.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on which package management systems I'll need to wait for…